Provide positive messages that trans people are welcome. The absence of explicit mention of trans people may be interpreted as a sign that the organisation is neither supportive nor aware.
Examples of good practice include:
- Working with student representatives to develop a list of the practical steps to be taken within college to support students who transition;
- Providing information on a college’s website about support for trans students;
- Publicising the location of gender neutral toilets;
- Providing trans awareness training for staff;
- Including transgender information in briefing for new students; and
- Making private changing facilities available for those who choose to use them for sport. Ensure that gendered sports teams welcome trans people.